No subject

Thu Sep 25 07:53:37 UTC 2008

is highly sought after over other "paper" qualifications.  I know this =
is not strictly true, however I'm wondering how possible it would be for =
someone like me with extensive knowledge but basically a school leaver, =
to get a foot in the door? =20

I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest by lowish wages (hopefully =
better than my peers who left school to go into full time work), or =
doing donkey work to begin with.  I do have experience, as I have been =
working since the age of 13 as a "freelance computer consultant", =
advertising in the Friday-ad, which basically involves mainly simple =
work such as replacing dead hard drives, ugprades, troubleshooting =
Windows problems, networking etc.  I've never touched on web design, but =
I managed to come up with www.modders.net in the space of a few hours by =
extensively editing a template (without any prior knowledge of html) and =
also (semi) incorporated a PHP/MySQL backend with no prior knowledge of =
that either, just be using pieces of sample code and things I picked up =
through skim-reading tutorials.  I'm an extremely fast learner, and I'm =
pretty certain I could have a working knowledge of html, php and mysql =
with minimum hassle.

Can anyone offer some insight as to whether it's possible?  This isn't =
purely hypothetical as I'm not really enjoying college, not because of =
the teachers, pupils or lessons, but because I want to get my teeth into =
something slightly more practical.  Sorry if I've gone on a bit here, =
it's just something I've been thinking about for a while now.

Thanks in advance
Adam Smith

P.S.  Yes I know I'm using OE, it's not by choice and the situation will =
be rectified soon ;).

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C2B568.C93CDAB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi.&nbsp; You guys seem like the right =
sort of=20
people to ask about this, and I know I'm not going to get my head bitten =
off for=20
asking here, so I have a little query for you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm currently at Park College, =
Eastbourne doing AS=20
levels, planning to go onto university, as this is the normal path to =
take to=20
get a good career.&nbsp; However, I'm hearing a lot of stories about =
graduates=20
having serious problems finding work, even after spending ~6 years of =
their life=20
and thousands of pounds getting a degree.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>From what I've read/heard, IT is the =
kind of=20
industry where experience is highly sought after over other "paper"=20
qualifications.&nbsp; I know this is not strictly true, however I'm =
wondering=20
how possible it would be for someone like me with extensive knowledge =
but=20
basically a school leaver, to get a foot in the door?&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest =
by lowish=20
wages (hopefully better than my peers who left school to go into full =
time=20
work), or doing donkey work to begin with.&nbsp; I do have experience, =
as I have=20
been working since the age of 13 as a "freelance computer consultant",=20
advertising in the Friday-ad, which basically involves mainly simple =
work such=20
as replacing dead hard drives, ugprades, troubleshooting Windows =
problems,=20
networking etc.&nbsp; I've never touched on web design, but I managed to =
come up=20
with <A href=3D"http://www.modders.net">www.modders.net</A> in the space =
of a few=20
hours by extensively editing a template (without any prior knowledge of =
html)=20
and also (semi) incorporated a PHP/MySQL backend with no prior knowledge =
of that=20
either, just be using pieces of sample code and things I picked up =
through=20
skim-reading tutorials.&nbsp; I'm an extremely fast learner, and I'm =
pretty=20
certain I could have a working knowledge of html, php and mysql with =
minimum=20
hassle.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can anyone offer some insight as to =
whether it's=20
possible?&nbsp; This isn't purely hypothetical as I'm not really =
enjoying=20
college, not because of the teachers, pupils or lessons, but because I =
want to=20
get my teeth into something slightly more practical.&nbsp; Sorry if I've =
gone on=20
a bit here, it's just something I've been thinking about for a while=20
now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Adam Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>P.S.&nbsp; Yes I know I'm using OE, =
it's not by=20
choice and the situation will be rectified soon =
;).</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C2B568.C93CDAB0--