No subject

Thu Sep 25 07:53:37 UTC 2008

  "# apt-get update" Which grabs the latest package lists of the
      servers.  I recommend doing this before installing or upgrading
      any package.

  "# apt-get upgrade" To update any installed package with the latest
      version.

  "$ apt-cache search <key-word>" To look for packages.

  "$ apt-cache info <package>" To get a full description of the package.

  "# apt-get install <package>" To install a new package (which will also
      install/upgrade any required packages as well.

It really is simple when you get use to it.

Steve
> An fsck???
This programs checks that the filesystem is okay.  Most time it just
checks that the filesystem was unmounted okay last time.  But every
so often it does a full check (or if the filesystem was not unmounted
okay [system crashed]).

> Also then I would use the same ext2 as I have used for the
> mandrake??

Be careful here.  What makes Mandrake Mandrake and not Debian or RedHat
is the configuration files and the location of the binaries.  The main
config directory /etc the boot program directories /bin & /sbin, the
main program directories /usr/bin & /usr/sbin and the /var are main ones
to what out for.  These should be in different partions for each OS you
want to run.  There is no reason why you shouldn't mount these the other
OS but they should have the same mount points.

/home & /usr/local are the obvious parts to have a common file system
across all Linux OSs you run.  Some distro install stuff in /usr/local
[slackware does I seam to recall], but Debian's policy is to leave
everything
in /usr/local alone so it is safe to share this between distros.

> <snip>
> > The one big thing to remember is that what ever filesystem you
> > are using on your root partion much be compiled into the kernel
> > (it cannot be a module!!!!!)
> <snip>
>
> Sorry, that's a bit over my head, I have heard of the differences
> between main kernel things and modules, but what that would mean is
> another mystery to me.

The boot load (lilo) only knows where the main kernel image(s) are on
disk, how to load them and then transfer control to them.  When you boot
the:
is lilo.  The line after is the Linux kernel starting to run.  No file-
systems have been mounted at this point.  After configuring those devices
it has built in it mounts the root file system (/) read only and runs the
"init" program.  init does most of the work you see reported when your
system boot.

Therefore in order for the kernel to mount the root file system (which
contains the "init" program) the root file system must not be a module.
Modules are stored on the root file system (/lib/modules/<kernel-version>)
and that hasn't been loaded yet.  Hope this make thinks a little clearer;
shout if it has not; if you don't get it right your system won't boot.

> <snip>
> > ext3 is an extension of ext2, and it is easy to upgrade from one
> > to the other; no reinstall!  First check that your kernel supports
> > ext3 ("cat /proc/filesystems" will list the file systems supported
> > by the kernel; and "lsmod" lists the modules loaded - if ext3 is
> > one of them then do not upgrade your root (/) filesystem).  Next
> > run the command "tune2fs -j <dev>" to create the journal file.
> > Then edit /etc/fstab and change the ext2 to ext3 for the device
> > you have just changed.  Finally try to "umount" and then "mount"
> > that filesystem, if you can't "umount" then rebooting is easiest.
> <snip>
>
> Whoosh - again, over my head

Check the net, there are some good HOWTOs on ext3.  But you don't
need ext3 so you can ignore it for now.  It is generally thought of
as a good idea to only change one thing at a time.

> <snip>
> > If you have install everything under one partion (as Geoff does)
> > then upgrading to ext3 is an all or nothing approach.  If you have
> > split the disk up into different partions (/, /usr, /home, ...)
> > like I have then just pick one and try it out on that first.
> </snipping>
>
> I currently have everything in one partition, and although I
> have heard that putting everything in different partitions is
> a good idea, I haven't the foggiest idea how I would do that.

I suggest you make this your area of study as it will help you
with a multi OS installation.  I also recommend buying another
disk as you can try all this out without disturbing your current
installation.  The other advantage is that you can install Debian
here and leave your main disk untouched.

> I am presuming that as I have my hard disc partitioned up as 44gig for
> window$, and 70 gig for my mandrake, then I would shrink the
> windows (after all 44 gigs is probably a bit much for a plain
> desktop system), then reallocate the space and format as ext2,
> maybe the 1 gig I mentioned before as swap, then seperate the 70
> (or whatever) gig's for ext2 into 2 bits, one for my mandrake and
> one for the debian.
>
> Would that sound sensible?????

Yes.  But I would add two more partions to that.  A small FAT32 partition
for transfering files between Win?? and Linux (both systems can read and
write FAT32.  The other would be a partition for /home, if this is shared
between both Linux partions then your login account will be there which
every Linux distro you boot.

> p.s. Geoff, I thought that debian baiting had been outlawed
> alongside dog and cock fighting:-)

No, it's like fox hunting: still legal but disliked my the majority :-)

Hope the waters are getting a little clearer.