[Sussex] Google Chrome...

Vicky Lamburn vicky.lamburn at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 2 11:53:00 UTC 2008

Hiya,

I'm not sure of rebuild of Firefox (read Gecko) but it's more of a
re-work of WebKit/KHTML from what I have understood.

I think this is a good thing and I agree with the thinking behind as
for some people computers become more of a thin client appliance.
After all some people just browse the web, send e-mails and knock up a
letter and view their photos. To that end a light OS with a optimised
browser that becomes the application host to some extent makes a bit
of sense.

What I don't see sense in per se is the need to ditch desktop
applications altogether - that seems a bit silly, we have fast
computers, that run apps fast and some companies see that replacing
them with browser based versions which are inherrently slower and more
limited. A bit of a back to square one scenario there. However, the
web is a good window on the world for grid computing so who knows what
will happen.

Either way more competition is good.

Vicky