[Sussex] pppoa

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 12:39:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, April 3, 2009 13:25, Angus Robinson wrote:
> Sorry, at times i do have a problem with what i want to do, in a an
> email. I am wanting to make the linux box connect to the internet, so
> the linux box does the authentication and the router would then be in
> bridge mode. Once that is done, i was planning on setting up a web
> server, configuring a firewall, etc,etc. Its basicaly for me to get to
> grips with linux iptables,apache,etc,etc as i am used to ipfw . I hope
> this helps. <br>

You don't want to do that, seriously!

If you were using a WAN card, such as a PCI ADSL card you could
authenticate using PPPoA. Using a bridge on the ADSL router converts the
PPPoA from the line to a form of PPPoE to run it to your computer, then
you will need to convert it from PPPoE to PPPoA to authenticate it.

Seeing as you are only authenticating by a single username and password
(your Tiscali broadband detail) there is little point in messing around
and tearing your hair out!

Authenticating the wireless side is different, you can run a radius server
and set it up to authenticate wireless users.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support