[Sussex] The "usual" linux weirdness......

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Mon May 25 20:42:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 21:17, Desmond Armstrong wrote:

>> All that's actually pi55ing me off about current distro's is that I
>> can't use the case front button to open my DVDRW. I have to open and
>> terminal and use the "eject" command, and as that works, there must be
>> a way of enabling the case button.
>>
>> I suppose that's just another mystery for a nugget like me!
>
> It is considered to be rude simply to pull plugs on USB memory or to
> press a button on the front of the DVD drive.

I did a search on that, I found this link:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2005-August/054833.html

Its some code that checks the DVD drive to see if the button has been
pressed and whether there is a disc in the drive at the time.

The ioctl for the CDROM returns 3 if there is a disc in the drive when the
button is pushed, so you can pass it to umount on that drive followed by
eject to eject the disc.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support