[Sussex] Problems with Exim4....

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Fri Nov 13 11:36:21 UTC 2009

Hi Richie

Richie Jarvis wrote:
> Got a bit of a problem with my mail servers.  The scenario I use is as
> follows:
>
> helkit.com is a colo hosted in the US, and runs Exim4.  It runs
> greylistd, and forwards all email to heliosuk.net, an ubuntu server
> running Exim4 on my local LAN.  heliosuk.net also accepts mail directly,
> and therefore also runs greylistd, but helkit.com is in the whitelist.
> Both heliosuk.net and helkit.com are setup to accept email from a number
> of domains, not just their own domain - hence judoatlewes.co.uk,
> helkit.com, deepsky.org.uk can all be transferred to my local mailserver
> on heliosuk.net.

<snip>

> 2009-11-13 10:12:07 H=(heliosuk.net) [82.152.138.105]
> F=<particularizes at college-gerard-philipe.com> rejected RCPT
> <akpn at judoatlewes.co.uk>
> 2009-11-13 10:12:07 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command
> from (heliosuk.net) [82.152.138.105]

The F= is the from party and therefore this message is for "akpn" on
host judoatlewes.co.uk.  The MX records for judoatlewes.co.uk point to
helkit.com in the US, not to heliosuk.net in the UK.

So my first question is why is a message from
"college-gerard-philipe.com" being forwarded from heliosuk.net (in the
UK) to the colo in the US?

I would suspect that it was first received by helkit.com and forwarded
to heliosuk.net which is now trying to forward back to helkit.com via
the "not local, route by DNS-MX" rule.  Have you got "judoatlewes.co.uk"
mapped as a local deliver on heliosuk.net?

Not sure this is the problem, but this is the first think I would want
to test.  Try testing the delivery rules on both machines.  On my
smarthost I get the following:

  # exim4 -bt akpn at judoatlewes.co.uk
  akpn at judoatlewes.co.uk
    router = notlocal, transport = remote_smtp
    host judoatlewes.co.uk [209.59.207.123] MX=0

Which is correct for me as judoatlewes.co.uk is not one of my local
domains.  On helkit.com it should pick the forward everything to
heliosuk.net rule, and on heliosuk.net it should pick a rule that gets
the message closer to delivery.  The one think it MUST NO DO is use the
MX record to forward the mail to 209.59.207.123 as this would create a
mail loop.

Hope this is a step in the right direction.
Steve