[Sussex] Bad motherboard or processor?

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 09:57:26 UTC 2010

On 07/03/10 08:28, John Crowhurst wrote:

> I've never seen a bad processor, so I've no experience of when one goes
> bad. Its usually motherboard.

The processor is designed with an over temperature shutdown circuit. And
certainly the immediate symptom is that it becomes very slow in the way
you describe. If it does not recover when you have good working fan on
it and the heatsink is well mounted on the processor then, yes, it is
probable that the processor has suffered permanent damage.

Generally the over temperature circuit on the silicon does save the
processor.