[Sussex] Upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 and got a few snags......

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:02:20 UTC 2010

Wotcha List,

So, the main snag is, that initially I ran the upgrade as just that, a
dist-upgrade from the update manager in 9.10

It was a complete "pigs ear".

After lots of panic, I found an old magazine front disc from LXF that
allowed me to install that, so I could get a full download and install the
10.04 that way.

It's sort of worked, except now the new version of grub won't let me boot my
Vista install. Plus it seems that I can't make it "do" a decent reasonably
high res splash screen and instead of just being able to leave my PC running
with a screensaver, it's going "black screen" and for the life of me I can't
work out how to cure these problems......

The splash resolution and black screen thing, might be curable from graphic
facilities, but as I've only been into using gnome for about 6 months so
still don't know my way around it.

As for trying to find out what the new version of grub has done to my
windows install, that's gonna be a total mystery.......

Can anyone offer any guidance please ?

cheers

John D.