[Sussex] Nvidia driver and UBUNTU 10.10

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:47:57 UTC 2011

Wotcha List,

Long time, no email.......

So, the problem is like this.

My great aunt dual boots Ubuntu and XP pro. Until recently, she was using
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but asked me to upgrade it to 10.10 in readiness for the
forthcoming 11.04

Normally, I just burn a disc of whatever and then just re-install it to the
root partition over the top, just re-installing any extra packages she might
need/want via the update manager/repositories.

For reasons I don't follow, none of the disc's I've burned to do this will
fire up on her PC, we get passed the splash screen Ok but then end up with
an error about "Clockspeed tsc unstable".

The only thing I can think of that might give that, would be the CMOS
battery, or am I thinking of the wrong thing ? - as it happens, her CMOS
battery was only replaced 18 months ago.

After trying the above approach a couple of times, and failing dismally, I
checked the update manager settings so that it could do a straight
dist-upgrade online. That seemed to work OK, but then when we

tried to reboot into the upgraded version, we just kept getting a report of
the X server crashing, as there seems to be no Nvidia module in the new
10.10 kernel.

Try as I might, I can't find any straight forward (well for a nugget like
me) instructions or guidance to install the Nvidia driver into the new
kernel that installed with the dist upgrade (presuming that it would have to
be a CLI install of the driver).

We can get into a GUI from the old kernel that came with the final lot of
updates of 10.04, so she still has the use of Ubuntu, but it would be great
to be able to get the upgrade finished.

So can anyone advise, or suggest a link to an easily understood/followed
"how to". It can't really be too techy in how this is done, as I'm only a
confident user and no kind of administrator

Any assistance would be great.

regards

John D.