No subject

Tue Feb 22 18:54:42 UTC 2011

how to confirm what's causing the prob is a total mystery to me. It would be
one thing for the new version to be a problem, but its confusing the hell
out of me as to why I can't just reinstall the 10.04 from a disk.......

regards

John D.

On 22 May 2011 13:53, "Desmond Armstrong" <desmond.armstrong at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 22/05/11 12:36, johnsemailaccount at gmail.com wrote:
>> So I'm hoping for any advice that might
>> help me get it to boot a CD, then we can just (hopefully) install the
>> 10.04 to the / so that we can use an older nvidia driver, that does
>> seem to work/have support......
>
> It does sound as though you simply have problem with the DVD drive. I do
> find that these are not the most reliable of things, fortunately they
> are not very costly to replace. So I would check with a replacement
> drive in the first instance.
>

> --

--001636e0a87b81fecf04a3debad0

he BIOS to use the second drive (the offending PC has a DVD RW and separate=
 CD ROM drive). We get the same result from both (and the same symptoms).</=
p>

ame time. Plus when we get it (the PC) running with the installed version, =
the drives both seem to work fine, as they do when its booted into Windows =
(she dual boots Ubuntu and Windows XP pro).</p>

t how to confirm what&#39;s causing the prob is a total mystery to me. It w=
ould be one thing for the new version to be a problem, but its confusing th=
e hell out of me as to why I can&#39;t just reinstall the 10.04 from a disk=
.......</p>

o:desmond.armstrong at gmail.com">desmond.armstrong at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r type=3D"attribution">&gt; On 22/05/11 12:36, <a href=3D"mailto:johnsemail=
account at gmail.com">johnsemailaccount at gmail.com</a> wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; So I&#39;m hoping for any advice that might<br>&gt;&gt; help me ge=
t it to boot a CD, then we can just (hopefully) install the <br>&gt;&gt; 10=
.04 to the / so that we can use an older nvidia driver, that does <br>&gt;&=
gt; seem to work/have support......<br>
&gt; <br>&gt; It does sound as though you simply have problem with the DVD =
drive. I do <br>&gt; find that these are not the most reliable of things, f=
ortunately they <br>&gt; are not very costly to replace. So I would check w=
ith a replacement <br>
@mailman.lug.org.uk</a><br>&gt; E-mail Address: <a href=3D"mailto:sussex at ma=
ilman.lug.org.uk">sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk</a><br>
&gt; Sussex LUG Website: <a href=3D"http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/">http://w=