[Sussex] video snags (possibly nvidia related, but, possible bug) - best suggestions ?

Dave davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jul 10 18:06:12 UTC 2011

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:12:04 +0100 john davis<johnsemailaccount at gmail.com>  writ
> Subject: Re: [Sussex] video snags (possibly nvidia related, but
> 	possible bug) - best suggestions ?
>
> On 6 July 2011 01:08, Steve Dobson<steve at dobbo.org>  wrote:
>

>> >  The (EE) is one of the things I was looking for.  It does appear that
>> >  you haven't got all the drivers loaded you should.  My nVidia workstaion
>> >  does have the "nv" driver loaded and it works for my nVidia Corporation
>> >  C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) VGA card.  But that card has
>> >  been supported for a while now.

>> >  Installing the "xserver-xorg-video-nv" package maybe all that is needed.
>> >    That's my hope, but I would like to know exactly which graphics card
>> >  you have.  Is it the GT 420?  Or is it something else?  I was expected
>> >  more from the lspci command.  That in itself is suggestive of the
>> >  graphics card being new - too new for you.  The PCI bus doesn't given
>> >  the text, that's in a database - so if it isn't listed maybe that's
>> >  because it is a very new VGA device.
>> >
>> >  I know it's too late now, but going out and just buying a computer in a
>> >  box is a problem with driver support, and graphics cards are high on the
>> >  list for this.  If you can replace you graphics card with and older one
>> >  then that is the other option, and maybe the best for you.  Of course,
>> >  if it is a GT 420, then the next release of Ubuntu will no doubt include
>> >  the latest drivers and therefore support it properly.
>> >
>> >  Hope you find a solution
>> >  Steve
>> >
> It looks, very much, like "Dobbo the magnificent" has hit the nail, very
> much, on the head.
>
> The linux Mint 11 (which seems to be using "mintised" ubuntu natty sources),
> has installed a package called "Hardinfo", which as there's no "menu'd
> shortcut", I've only just discovered.
>
> It's reporting the graphics card as "GeForce GT 420/PCI/SSE2" under the
> renderer section of the info, which, I'm guessing means that it is indeed a
> GT420 card a.k.a. unsupported.
>
> Bugger!
>
> Ah well, I'll just have to put up with that won't I. Though I'm gonna see if
> I can install the package that Steve has suggested i.e. the
> "xserver-xorg-video-nv" and see if I can get anything out of it that might
> help.
>
> Oh and just for info, the Linux Mint 11 seems to me, just like the visual
> differences (the default ones) between KDE and Gnome i.e. that generally, it
> looks nicer, though it's installed Gnome as the default (and I've just
> installed the KDE for it). Slightly more friendly feeling to it than the
> parent Ubuntu.
>
> As ever, thanks for the assistance in working out what the issue is/was.
> It's very much appreciated
>
> regards
>
> John D.
Linux Mint uses Gnome 3 NOT Unity.  The problem seems to be the large
amount of bugs that need to be fixed in Unity.  Ubuntu did not do what
they normally do & start using the 10.10 release to start Unity & work
out more of the bugs before releasing 11.04

Have you tried the following link?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.12-driver.html

--
Air blue? Damn it's gone deep purple!