[Sussex] New PC, frustration, frustration.

johnsemailaccount at gmail.com johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 19:57:18 UTC 2011

Wotcha List,

Ok, so I recently posted about how to move data from my old PC to the
replacement (HO Pavilion p6799). As far as I can tell, it's a 64 bit
machine, so I've installed Ubuntu 11.04 64bit.

Generally it seems to be working fine.

The biggest hassle was moving the data, as already mentioned. This was done
by a mishmash of dropbox, DVD's and application specific answers
like "xmarks" for firefox. Of the various challenges, re-installing my
music has proved the worst.

Why? Because despite the success of completing the task (well 99%) - which
did take an inordinate amount of time (my music is all in FLAC format, the
file sizes and general amount of music to copy back to the new machine), I
found a little problem that I can't, as yet, solve.

On one DVD (relating to the album/CD it was ripped from), there was an
error that came up twice. It seems it was to do with excessively long song
titles.

Ok thinks me, I can just re-rip the two tracks and I should be able to edit
the song titles - No such luck.

While the system found and allowed me to copy the music DVD's back to the
hard drive (well my /home/music), the machine doesn't seem to see the
actual drive with an audio CD in it.

I've had a bit of a google, and as far as I can see, the system seems to
see the drive, but the applications can't. I've looked at the /etc/fstab
and there's no mention of it there.

Trying the "sudo lshw -C disk" command gives me this

"*-cdrom
product: DVD A DH16ABLH
vendor: hp
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi at 2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 3HD9
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc"

and the "sudo hdparm -I /dev/dvd" and "sudo hdparm -I /dev/cdrom" give me :-

"/dev/dvd:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
Model Number: hp DVD A DH16ABLH
Serial Number: 2N8101912541
Firmware Revision: 3HD9
Transport: Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5,
SATA Rev 2.6
Standards:
Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
DRQ response: 50us.
Packet size: 12 bytes
cache/buffer size = unknown
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* PACKET command feature set
* DEVICE_RESET command
* NOP cmd
Removable Media Status Notification feature set
* Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
* Phy event counters
Device-initiated interface power management
Asynchronous notification (eg. media change)
* Software settings preservation"

and

"/dev/cdrom:

[...]

respectively.

Plus "dmesg | grep -i dvd" then tells me this

"[ 2.862292] ata3.00: ATAPI: hp DVD A DH16ABLH, 3HD9, max UDMA/100
[ 2.865295] scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM hp DVD A DH16ABLH 3HD9 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 2.868894] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2
cdda tray"

Another command, "ls -al /dev/sr*" gives me this

"brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2011-06-21 20:17 /dev/sr0"

But I don't know what it all means (anyone can find commands on various
forums etc and input them, but when it comes to de-cyphering them, it's a
rather different matter) other than the system seems to see the the drive.
So, I still have no idea how to get the damn device to detect discs when
they're put in the drive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?

regards

John D.