[Sussex] New PC, frustration, frustration.

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Wed Jun 22 11:26:38 UTC 2011

Hello Desmond,

On Tue, June 21, 2011 22:17, Desmond Armstrong wrote:

> ??????
> They may pre-date Microsoft but they do not pre-date computers.

You are of course correct. I should have qualified better by saying that
it predates the use of CD's as media in computers! :-)

Having said that, by intalling something like "cdfs" it is possible to
view an audio CD as a normal data CD, with tracks on it as files. I'm not
sure what the current state of this project is, because I cannot find
pre-built binaries for it in Ubuntu and Debian. The source package is
available in Ubuntu (package called cdfs-src on both Ubuntu Natty and
Debian Squeeze), but it installs all kinds of kernel source pacakages and
helpers. Not for the faint-hearted, although it's a great geeky way of
doing things.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins