[Sussex] Acer laptops

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 09:47:00 UTC 2011

On 23/06/11 10:20, aotley at gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm sure I can eventually get the wifi to work - it's not been a high
>> priority for me - but regardless of how well it works (or not) with
>> Linux, I would never buy another Acer.

Although I do get Acers to work they are always more hassle, mind you
Toshiba and Samsung can be difficult too.

And when asked I do simply specify Asus and simplyasus.com are one of
the best.

Just a note. My eee901 netbook is now 4 years and the battery still has
plenty of life.

On the Wi-Fi the Broadcom remains difficult. The Acer 5742z is listed as
having either Atheros or Broadcom Wi-Fi and if you are unlucky and get
the one with Broadcom then you are well advised to change the Wi-Fi
device, ideally for an Intel but Atheros is fine. So my advice again, is
go for ASUS, you won't regret it.