[Sussex] Acer laptops

Steve Dobson steve at dobbo.org
Thu Jun 23 10:53:39 UTC 2011

Hi Andy

On 23/06/11 10:03, aotley at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello list , I am thinking of getting an acer 5742z at a bargain 250 quid off ebuyer
> Any one got much experience with acers and Linux .....concerns will be wireless drivers I guess,

I've installed the last two versions of Debian on my Acer Aspire One ZG5
and have had no problems with it.  No fiddling about adding drivers and
the like - that would have been an issue as I always install using a
Debian netinst image.

I think you need to fiddle if you want to get the camera to work.  I
don't so I haven't.  I bought mine second hand about two years ago.  It
went on a trip to Africa to back-up my digital photos using a separately
purchased USB attached DVD writer ad a separately purcased USB attached
laptop disk.  It worked perfectly then and still does today.

My biggest gripe is that the internal FLASH disk is SLOOOOOW.  I
regularly attached a separate monitor to the external monitor port and
use that as additional desktop area.  It plays my DVDs just fine too.
I've had the think powered for most of the two years I've owned one.

In my book Acer did a good job with this netbook.  I love it to bits!

Steve

Written on my Linux powered Acer Aspire One netbook!
--
Steve "Dobbo" Dobson