[Sussex] My old laptop (1996-2011)

Steven Dobson steve at dobbo.org
Sat Mar 12 17:16:59 UTC 2011

Gavin

On 12/03/11 16:46, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> I don't know if any of you remember the old laptop I used to bring to
> the moots - a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS. I have to report that it
> has passed on to digital heaven.

My condolences.  I remember it well.  It was on that machine that you
showed me sc(1).

<snippage/>

> I shall have to find something else now, but definitely rather more
> up-to-date....

I would recommend the netbook format to you.  Since buying one a year
and a third ago haven't really looked at my laptop.

Portability wise it is hard to better if you want a "full" spec
computer.  Mine went on safari with me last year to back-up my photos to
CD and external USB disk.  Did a sterling job and was small enough to
fit in to the room safes when I wanted to secure it for the evening.  It
also allowed me to watch my own in-flight movies.

During the day it was so small and light I sometimes took it with in my
camera bag.  Not to use, just so that it wouldn't get stolen when the
room didn't have a safe.

My netbook is the Asus Aspire One, but I'm sure that they are all much
of a muchness.  The model I got came with a flash hard drive rather than
a disk.  But it was more than enough to install Debian.  It is currently
running squeeze (latest stable) with no real problem at all.  But I will
admit that it is slowwwwwwww!  But that is down to this particular
models brand of flash being slow.  The slowness is all in waiting for
the IO to complete.  I keep meaning to install Debain on to an extern
USB disk and run it that way when I do not want to use it on the move.

Steve "Dobbo" Dobson