[Sussex] This month's talk on tablets

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Mon Oct 31 00:06:50 UTC 2011

On 24 October 2011 12:28, Fay Zee  wrote:

> Hi to all those who offered to bring their tablets, hand held
devices, etc
> along to the October moot.
>
> Thanks, and very much appreciated.
>

> Best Regards,
> Fay
> East Grinstead Linux User Group
> www.eglug.org.uk

My thanks to Dave for allowing us to play on his Samsung Galaxy S2,
and to Alex for letting us download an app to his new HTC Desire HD.

I had never used one before. I think it would take some time to get
myself used to navigating via gestures.

Dave showed how he could type out an email with almost every word
containing a typo, yet the Samsung guessed the correct word either
first or second in the list. The list ran in a line under the typing,
so the items were really easy to pick.

We were also able to compare map apps between the Desire and an iPhone
- not that much difference as far as I could see.

My main interest in a smart phone or tablet is as a gallery for my
illustrations. Alex connected his HTC up to my Eee PC as a source of
power, the Eee PC recognised it as a storage device and I simply
created a new folder in the existing media folder and uploaded five
images. When I navigated to the gallery app ("Gallery"), it
automatically listed my newly created folder as a separate album and
displayed my pictures. There wasn't any gallery management tool to
move images between galleries or create/delete galleries, so it looks
like that all has to be done via a laptop or desktop, which is fine. I
was able to zoom the images with a gesture and turning the phone on
its side changed the orientation. Despite the small size of the screen
(well, large for a phone but of course smaller than a tablet), all the
sample images had good definition.

I was surprised to see on Amazon the Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB
4.3" Smartphone at £400 was more expensive than the Samsung P1010
Galaxy Tab 16GB 7" Tablet at £316.

As I would want it only for the Gallery, the tablet seems the better
option.