[Sussex] Fault possibly developing on my PC

Paul Willis phwillis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 01:46:30 UTC 2012

How dare you!

>> The box I'm typing from now was bought in 1997, is on its 3rd
>> mainboard and maybe 2nd power supply.
>
> Trigger's broom.

I had to Google Tigger's broom

When I said the box, I meant the box! It still has the original
switches for power and reset and lights for hdd and power; it still
has its builder's badge "Quark" on it. The standby button is not
connected any more. Admittedly the peripherals have passed away too ..
except the sound system which now runs radio direct from a daughter's
tv digibox if not the laptop. I bought 1 more computer in 2000 which
also has new contents in its shell. Since then it's always been a
matter of refilling the case when the contents are no longer adequate.
My son wanted a whole new machine a couple of years ago so I let him
waste £20 on a new box but that's the first I've bought - total waste
of money - and I've had to repair the power switch on it already :(
Don't make 'em like they used to. He previously used my sister's first
pc (1996 NEC on its 2nd Mboard etc) which is now adopted by my
grandson and used every day.
Reuse, recycle! But if you need to replace a board you might as well
do the processor and memory too. GBytes of DDR3 now cost less than
MBytes of DDR. It's bad luck if you have an odd Dell power supply or
strange shape HP box, but most of the industry standardised so you can
usually get a PC refill.