[Sussex] Mounting remote disks

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Sun Oct 13 15:40:21 UTC 2013

I use cifs to mount a remote drive at a client's site. Currently, the
mount is part of a cron job and I would like to reduce the system
overhead of repeated unmount/mount commands. Could I simply add a line
in fstab? Periodically, the remote drive will probably become
inaccessible because of network glitches or reboots of that system. Will
fstab take care of the remount when the remote drive becomes accessible
again? Do I need to include "auto"? If I don't get the new line right
first time in fstab then presumable the current lines will continue to work?
Thanks, Brendan