[Sussex] Centos 6 64bit no longer bootable

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 14:54:41 UTC 2013

I have just built a Centos 6.4 64-bit system on a, relatively old, Dell
server. Having got through the installation of the operating system and
configured our package, I changed the default screen backgrounds to
those used on other servers. I logged out but the screen just ( from
memory) showed a white line and the word "Centos". I therefore powered
off and back on again but now get the message "ata_id DHIO_GET_IDENTITY
failed for /dev/sda" it then goes into a kernel panic. Searching on the
Internet indicates that this could be a disk controller issue.  However
I can boot, using a DVD, into recovery mode and, for example, check that
the png background files are in place. ( Just in case there was a bad
connection I re-bedded cables, boards, etc. )
Is it likely to be a hardware issue and are there any tests that I can
perform? As it is a new installation I am not concerned about the data
or files but would like to get the system working.
Thanks, Brendan