[Sussex] Open source web-application development group [Was: Openshift, Openstack and Docker]

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Mon Apr 28 18:43:11 UTC 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest.

Quoting Paul Feakins <paulfeakins at gmail.com> on 28 April 2014 17:35:

> On 28 April 2014 17:03, Fay Zee <sussex at eglug.org.uk> wrote:
>

>> There's a wealth of choices in this area and I would welcome nuggets from
>> a knowledgeable source. If there is enough interest, I might like to start
>> up or join an existing user group based around open source web-application
>> development here in Sussex, perhaps as a subset of Sussex LUG, meeting on a
>> different night.
>>

> I'd be pretty keen to come along to this as I work at www.antropy.co.uk

Here is what I could bring to the table:

My background in front and back end web application development
consists of wholly Microsoft in a corporate environment from 1997 to
2011, so 15 years in the Microsoft camp developing in Access from
1997, in ASP Classic from 2000 and in ASP.NET C# form 2004.

However, my contribution to a developer group can encompass the whole
life-cycle of development, from initial contact, to requirements
capture, UML, end cases, prototyping (including "paper" prototyping),
planning, developing, scalability, testing, user acceptance testing,
bug fixing, training, report suite development and support. I have
experience of users and their time restraints and the 80/20 rule, as
well as soaking up some of the combined experience and skills of those
around me.

All these are platform independent, so carry over to the Open Source arena.

I have been a lead developer for about ten years (with one assistant)
and liaison with report writers and am also proficient in HTML, CSS,
JavaScript, JQuery, Ajax, Greasemonkey/Scriptish and of course SQL.

But the only development in PHP and MySQL that I have completed so far
is little apps for myself and a commission to write a mapping
application for a delivery driver. I wrote mapping applications back
in my early days, so this was relatively easy to plan. All I had to do
was find the matching syntaxes and methods in PHP and MySQL.

I would welcome the challenge to get involved in helping to run a user group.

Who else would be interested or knows someone who would benefit?

Please post!

Best regards,
Fay