[Sussex] Ping

Jeffrey Best Jeffrey.Best at southstarcomputers.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 22:22:17 UTC 2019

I was wondering whether a hands-on, text file manipulation
workshop/competition, featuring awk/sed/grep/cut/paste/sort/uniq and
related applications might be useful. I have been having to refresh my
memory on some useful techniques involving these - including piping
through "cat -v" to turn pesky carriage returns into something I can
target when using the above from Cygwin. Perhaps there are others who
would like a refresher or who can bring some favoured one-liners to the
party?

I could bring along some reasonably complex, multi-record type text
files and suggest interesting information it would be useful to extract,
and the audience can compete to see who has the most elegant approach to
finding and extracting said information from a set of files. I could
even supply prizes for the best solutions, as voted by the audience.

Would this fill one of your slots?

Regards,

Jeff