[SWLUG] Fwd: ALERT! UK Prepares Own Version of the DMCA

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 10 14:34:43 UTC 2002

I got passed this. It is interesting.  As usual Alan seems to be involved.

There is more abou the consultation at.
http://www.patent.gov.uk/about/consultations/eccopyright/index.htm

Published 7th Aug., closing date for comments 31st October.

UK Prepares Own Version of the DMCA

Posted by michael on Friday August 09, @06:33PM

from the bow-to-the-inevitable dept.

philkerr writes "I've just been informed by the UK Patent Office, below, that
the EUCD (European Union Copyright Directive, the equivalent EU legislation
to the DMCA) consultation paper has been released. It's important that we
give feedback to the UK government that this legislation will have a chilling
effect on the software industry." NTK has a few choice words on the subject
as well. We've done several articles on the EUCD before, and Alan Cox has
been campaigning against it, but it appears that the fix is in: Europe is
going to get DMCA-like laws implemented in each nation by the end of 2002.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
NOTE NEW WEB ADDRESS