[SWLUG] audio cds from mp3/ogg

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Fri Aug 30 04:15:58 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 04:25:57AM +0100, bascule wrote:
> with a headless box storing my mp3s with my old cdburner in it, i want to be
> able to set it to burn an audio cd while i get on with other stuff, looking
> at lists of gui and cli progs i realise that i don't know if all mp3/ogg to
> wav decoders are the same quality, i can't seem to find a comparison of that.
> recommendations anyone? now that ogg is at 1. i'm ripping to that so it would
> be nice to be able to burn a cd from both mp3 and ogg files at the same time,

A really cool GUI prog I've found for burning CDs, by far the best, is
eroaster (also called EcLiPt RoAStEr or something 31337). It's a python
GTK program, supports burning ISOs, data CDs you can make with drag &
drop, and audio CDs the same, with your choice of ogg, wav or mp3. I've
yet to find a nice audio CD burner prog for the command line.

> ideally i would like to access the server, tell it to burn and then be able
> to disconnect, no remote x apps preventing me from rebooting the workstation
> etc.
>
> i remember rob m. (istr) telling me that it was possible to run an x
> app/session on a box and 'connect' to it and then disconnect, i assume that
> this means having full blown x on the server box? can someone (re)enlighten
> me?

It probably was me, I think you're thinking of VNC. It lets you run a
session into a virtual X server called Xvnc. Rather than a screen, you
connect to it from another host with a VNC client, which brings the
screen to you, and your session doesn't end when you close the client.
It's pretty nice, you can get a windows client and server (although
it remote controls the one session, because windows can't spawn one in
the background - great for tech support).

> anyway i think i'm rambling, time to go to tescos - bed is for wimps!
>
> bascule

Regards,
Rob