[SWLUG] kdeinit going nuts

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 5 11:19:52 UTC 2002

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has seent this before or knows of a solution, but it's
really starting to wind me up now as it's happening more and more
frequently...

Every now and then (or seemingly every few hours lately) I notice that my
screensaver is going really slowly. That's usually the first sign.

Then I run top and I see why:

26568 foeh      25   0 29792  29M 17604 R    94.8  5.7 467:22 kdeinit

It's always kdeinit, and it's always hogging 90%+ of the CPU! Killing X seems
to fix it, though yesterday I killed X and it stayed there, even before I
logged in. If I kill it while I'm in K it doesn't like it much and restarts
X.

Another one that has plagued me since I ran up2date (never again!) is that if
I open images with konqueror, or quite often opening a directory and letting
it thumbnail files, it seems to restart X. I can't seem to find any reasoning
for it happening, and it seems to happen more when I've got MP3s playing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm on RedHat 7.3, Athlon XP2100+
512MB RAM and with a Geforce 2 MX200 graphics card (with nvidia drivers).

I'm going to update the nvidia drivers in a minute but I usually find that
breaks more than it fixes so I thought I'd send this mail while I still
could!

Foeh.

<rant>
PS "Use GNOME" is not an answer. I've had so many righteous GNOME users say
that to me in the past even when it was working properly. I can't stand
GNOME. And I don't use KDE because it's like Windows before anyone asks. I
hate using Windows and I use KDE because it's got everything I need and
everything the way I like it.
</rant>