[SWLUG] lilo headache

vlado vlado at dikini.net
Wed Dec 18 15:22:26 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 14:52, Gareth Lewis wrote:
> hi,
>
> I've been thinking along those lines but encountered two problems,
>
> 1)  my suse 7.3 seems to have a broken version of grub - but i'm not sure about this, it was grub 0.5.something.
>
> I do know that the suse config tools don't know about it.  I might have another look at this tonight.
>
> I think that this version doesn't like reiserfs, but my suse /boot partition is an ext2 one anyway so things should be ok?
> The main problem was that I didn't find a 'install grub' tool or script when I last looked.
>
> 2). I'd go with red-hat doing it's stuff, but I'm put off trying when the installer doesn't seem to be able to see my suse partitions !
what do you mean by that?
- if it does not show you a suggestion to include suse into the boot
list?
 I think that is quite ok, and safe, and sensible behaviour.
 Just install on the free space, configure your boot loader during the
 install - for example grub :), and then, after you reboot and get the
 fansy new install, reconfigure grub.
  A good thing with grub is that you can have a very limited shell from
 within grub, so if you screw-up your configurations, you can still
 get awy with it (in theory), but make sure you have some hardcopy help
 by hand if you never used it before. It's not hard, quite logical, it
 even has tab-completions! but don't confuse it with bash,ash,sh, or csh
 for that matter.

- if it can't recognise your partitions at all -> try switching to the
console (ALT F2|CTRL-ALT F2) and check with  'fdisk -l') then something
REALLY BAD is going on and be careful, or just don't care and have a
pint - Christmas is coming so the festivies are on full speed anyway.

Cheers,
Vlado