[SWLUG] lilo headache

vlado vlado at dikini.net
Wed Dec 18 17:42:08 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 17:20, vlado wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 16:22, Gareth Lewis wrote:
> > That's what i've been trying,   I'll have another go 'though.
> >
> > first time it went wrong I put down to it trying to get the kernel from an ext3 partition, so I reinstalled red-hat to have a separate /boot mounted on its own ext2 partition.
> >
> > second time it, I couldn't get /sbin/lilo to process the redhat part of the lilo.conf as it said that it couldn't find or get to (don't remember which)  /boot/vmlimuz.redhat  which made me think that it was looking for it on the wrong partition or I'd name a typo (it was late)
> >
> > I'll hack it again tonight and i'll post the actual lilo.conf if it still doesn't work.
> >
> > But you do seem to suggest that I should be able to point lilo at a completely diferent partition and it will still work ?
> >
> yes, that is the part - "root=/dev/hda2"
> but check for appropriate append statement,
> from memory it should be something like
>    image = /boot/vmlinuz  # your zImage file
>    root = /dev/hda2     # partition containing the kernel
>    label = Red Hat Linux        # name to appear on menu
>    append = "root=/dev/hda3" #the boot parameters for your linux kernel
sorry, I think I'm wrong here, I got curios and had a look at the
lilo.conf man page ( sorry, cheating).
so to be short :
image= /mount_point_of_your_RH_boot/linux_kernel #your image
   root=/dev/hda3 # that's your RH root directory ( / )
   label= Red Hat Linux
and the append above is actually duplicating the root lilo directive.

Possibly when you where configuring lilo before, lilo couldn't actually
find your kernel file, it needs it. It does some clever stuff with it. I
don't worry too much that it is not where Red Hat will look for it.