[SWLUG] lilo headache resolved

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Thu Dec 19 11:12:50 UTC 2002

Hi All,
Solved by copying the contents of /boot in redhat to /boot in suse so that LILO (installed by suse) finds the correct kernel + initrd ram image   plus remembering to point to the correct bloody root partition.  there is probably a better way of doing this.

Thanks for the help all, much apreiciated.

BTW, I'm not very impressed by a few parts of redhat 7.3, kde 3.0.?  seems a lot worse that kde 2.2.1. and redhat doesn't have a simple standalone xserver config.  and it has failed to detect my modem which both suse 6.4 and suse 7.3 did do with no problems.

Gareth.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:04:02AM -0800, Dafydd Walters wrote:
> > But you do seem to suggest that I should be able to
> > point lilo at a completely different partition and it will still work ?
>
> To be honest, I'm not 100% sure this is possible.  If you've already tried
> what I suggested and it did not work, then maybe not.

This is definitely possible. LILO doesn't care what partition the kernel
image comes from.