[SWLUG] Downgrading

Gareth Watkins gw at garethwatkins.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 23 10:37:54 UTC 2002

 Can anyone help with what to when an upgrade (in this case Red Hat 7.1 >
RH8) seems to break a lot of things? What I usually do is make a copy of the
old partition and upgrade the copy, but for reasons I don't understand, the
original sometimes gets upgraded too.
 I don't understand kernels, etc, but I wondered whether any of these three
might be possible:
(A) Some kind of un-upgrade (like an uninstall);
(B) Booting the old kernel (if it's still there);
(C) Doing a 'downgrade' by installing RH71 as an 'upgrade' of RH8.
I guess (A) is impossible, and (B), if it's possible, would probably leave
lots of stuff not working. Does anybody know what would happen if I tried
(C)? I'd be grateful for any tips.
Gareth Watkins