[SWLUG] Not printing in Mandrake 8.0

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Sun Dec 29 13:52:42 UTC 2002

On 28 Dec, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> So far I have gone to Control Centre > Search > typed in "printing"
> and found the "Printing Manager".  It showed my two printers.  I
> selected each one in turn and this presented many options.
> On the Information tab it said for each of the two printers that the
> location, device and model was blank.  Despite having tried to print
> several times the Jobs tab was blank.
> The properties tab, General Button said that  the Location was "unavailable".

Sounds like it didnt configure the printers for you, just located any
relevant drivers.

You will need to use the printing manager to tell it about your
printers, im not familiar with mandrake manager, but it should be
reasonably straight forward to select a printer and configure it, it
should offer you a list of devices (/dev/lp0 is the standard parallel
printer port) and device names (lp is the default printers name, choose
your own for the 2nd) and select the right printer type from the list.

You should find that the file /etc/printcap contains two sets of lines,
one for each printer. Also check that there is a printer daemon running
by looking for the 'lpd' process in the output of 'ps aux'.