[SWLUG] Getting NTL broadband to work

David Elir Evans david at clyne.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 15:21:05 UTC 2002

Neil Jones wrote:

>Can anyone help? I already have NTL Broadband working with Windoze. I know
>want to get it working with a proper operating system.  :-)
>I have installed my network card.  It seems to be working in that both
>Operating systems have detected its presence.
>
>I have been into linuxconf to set up eth0 to be DHCP.

Ok, when you ifup eth0, i.e. as root

/sbin/ifup eth0

do you get it saying determining ip address ?

What is the output of

/sbin/ifconfig

it should tell you the ip address after it has been allocated

>This is where one problem could occur
>What kernel modules hould I have set?
> I have it set to ne  which is for ne2000 and clones it says. ( I don't
>really know what it means but I got this off an on-line help guide someone
>put together.)

I presume you have an ne2000 clone network card, you may need to check this

>My cable modem is a silver grey model with no makers name just NTL:home
>Broadband Internet on the front. and the NTL:home logo is ligher silver on
>top.

Very smart

>on telling linxux conf to act on the changes I get
>
>The following command told me somehting had to be done
>/etc/rc3.f.S10network probe
>
>Executing: /etc/rc3.d/S10network reload
>
>Service lpd is not running

lpd line printer daemon, not relevant to cable modem