[SWLUG] Getting NTL broadband to work

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 20:01:48 UTC 2002

On Monday 30 December 2002 04:39 pm, justin at discordia.org.uk wrote:
> On 30 Dec, Neil Jones wrote:
> > On Monday 30 December 2002 03:21
> > /sbin/ifup eth0
> > Delaying eth0 initialization.
> >
> >> I presume you have an ne2000 clone network card, you may need to check
> >> this
> >
> > I probably don't. I changed this value and I can't quite remember what it
> > was It doesn't seem to be in the list provided .
> >
> > Would this have been set when I first booted  linux and it detected the
> > new card?
> >
> > If so how do I get it back?
>
> It does sound rather like you have somehow changed the ethernet config,
> Look in /etc/modules.conf for a line beginning 'alias eth0 ...'
> that will tell you which driver its trying to use.
>
> Take a look at the output of /sbin/lspci to see if the card is mentioned
> in there. (If its a pci card that is)
>
> a modern cheap 10/100 ether card is likely to be either an ne2k clone
> (use the ne2k-pci driver) or a Realtek (a driver like 8139too)

Yes it is a Realtek and the original driver was 8139too

> When you work out which driver is required, change the entry in
> modules.conf and ifup the interface again, it should load the right
> module then.  use lsmod to check if the drive is loaded, and dmesg to
> see what debugging/info the driver printed.

> Alternately you could try and trick the auto detection tools into
> spotting the card again, but this may involve cumbersum procedures like
> removing the card and rebooting a few times.

Right then having had no success getting it working I took the machine apart
again and did just that. I had loosened my sound card and needed to get it
back in place anyway.

Now the correct driver is in place. It still doesn't work.

On boot I get the messages

Modprobe can't find eth0

Delaying eth1 initialization.   (That IS eth1)

trying  /sbin/ifup eth0

 gives
Determining IP information for eth0...Operation failed.
 failed.

the IP bit comes up straight away but the operation failed follows after a
long time.

lsmod doesn't show the module. I have tried putting it in with insmod.
That gets it in but has no effect.

Smesg doesn't seem to have anything obvious, but I'm not exactly sure what I
would be looking for anyway.
This appears quite a few times perhaps it shouldn't keep appearing?

eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
45e1.

It still isn't working.

Thanks Justin. You help is appreciated.

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
National Nature Reserve