[SWLUG] Getting NTL broadband to work

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 31 18:47:33 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 12:56 pm, justin at discordia.org.uk wrote:
> On 30 Dec, Neil Jones wrote:
> > On Monday 30 December 2002 04:39 p
> > Yes it is a Realtek and the original driver was 8139too
> >
> > On boot I get the messages
> > Modprobe can't find eth0
> > Delaying eth1 initialization.   (That IS eth1)
>
> Okay, this looks like you now have TWO ether cards configured, this can
> happen if the autoconfig gets confused.

Yep. But It still isn't working?

> You need to manually fix /etc/modules.conf
> make sure there is a line in there saying 'alias eth0 8139too'
> and remove the line for eth1 (i assume you only have one network card in
> there)

Done.

> Also take a peek in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> The two important lines in there will be
> ONBOOT="yes"  and  BOOTPROTO="bootp"  (or some value other than "none")

 ONBOOT _was "no BOOTPROTO ="dhcp"
changed to yes and left alone respectively

> Then try to 'up' the interface again.

It just gave the delaying message delaying.

Rebooting gives the errore messages
Modprobe can't locate eth0
and  Modprobe can't locate eth1
with Failed messages in the startup messages.

Afterwards ifup gives dalaying message again.
Did lsmod it showed that 8136too module was not present.

executed
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o

to install missing module
Don't know If I should do this but it seemed to do something,
Now  ifup gives
Determining IP information for eth0...
very long pause yet again.
when failed appears notably only once I don't get a failed on the next line
as well this time.

> You should now get the driver loading correctly,
> and dmesg will say something like :-

> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.18a
> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xd08b4000, 00:50:de:ad:be:ef, IRQ
> 10 eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'

Some relevant lines from my dmesg output.

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.15 loaded
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xc88ba000, 00:02:44:5a:14:78, IRQ 11
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
45e1eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner
ability 45e1

Greping for PCI shows
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb220, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0686] at 00:07.0
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
Serial driver version 5.02 (2000-08-09) with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.2
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:07.3
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:10.0
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.3
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:07.2
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:10.0
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:11.0
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:12.0

Here is the end of the output untouched which may be clearer.

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.15 loaded
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:12.0
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xc88ba000, 00:02:44:5a:14:78, IRQ 11
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
NET4: Linux IPX 0.46 for NET4.0
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 2000, 2001 Conectiva, Inc.
NET4: AppleTalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0
eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
45e1.
eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
45e1.
es1371: unloading
Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)

> Which confirms that it has loaded the driver and found the card and set
> it as eth0 the first ethernet interface.
>

> If you still get the problem of 'Determining IP Address' failed,
> then you need to check which dhcp client your system is using.
> See if pump is installed (something like rpm -q pump)
> if it is, then remove it and install the dhcpcd package instead.

rpm query showed BOTH pump and dhcp present removed pump.
To no avail.

> > eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner
> > ability 45e1.
>
> Thats a little unusual as i would have thought the cable modem only had
> a 10mb ether chip in it, but otherwise should be any harm.

Thanks once again Justin for the help but it still refuses to work.

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
National Nature Reserve