[SWLUG] Re: [westwales] SWales LUG?

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Feb 9 19:45:00 UTC 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:49:43PM +0000 or thereabouts, Simon Burns wrote:
> "Anyhow I live in Swansea and tried to get on SWales lug but it looks dead
> - even the administrator's email was bounce back by the Uni."
>
> So what happened there I wonder? It was alive and well when I stopped
> subscribing a month or two ago. I received an email about subscribing to a
> new list because the old one was broken in some way, but I didn't do
> anything. Anyone know what happened?

I know some of what happened, but not all.

Darren was the administrator when I joined, and the website was
http://www.swlug.org. Then Darren sent a message saying that
he was closing the old list, moving all the subscribers to an
announce-only list and would shortly be setting up a questions
list.

I presume Real Life intervened, because it didn't happen. Mails
to any of the old or new lists just disappeared. And waah. We
were bereft.

So in the meantime, Justin set up a mailman list (well, two) off
http://swlug.org.uk (note the .uk), and we mailed as many of the
subscribers to the old list that we could. There were apparently
nearly one hundred: we got around ninety addresses and of those,
thirty-odd are on the discuss list.

We still don't know what's happened with the original lists. :(

There were jokes about "coup attempts" in the pub the first
meeting after this, but we needed a list!

We are still meeting every two weeks (ish), in Cardiff and
Swansea alternately. Last week was Swansea, so the week after
next is Cardiff. I think it's Monday the 18th. Probably the
Prince of Wales pub near the station. We tend to share car
rides or get the train from Swansea to Cardiff. If we get
many more people from Tenby and/or Carmarthen, we may have
to complicate the meeting location algorithm further.

Current plans are:
	o Helping someone with a spare church hall, an ISDN line
and about a dozen cast-off pentiums to do Something Useful with
them. Well, when he shows back up.
	o Pondering talks and open days: we seem to get a lot of
interest from business-types who want to know more, so some
introductory days seem in order.
	o Two of the LUG members are giving a public lecture at
Taliesin at the university on March the fifth. This will be
announced more widely once it's been announced formally, but
we are hoping for a good turn-out :) It's very much intro-level,
I think (I'm not involved, so I dunno).

Hope that helps.

Telsa