[SWLUG] ISO-8859-15

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 17 10:37:41 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:39:13PM +0000 or thereabouts, Mark Evans wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:21:01PM -0000, Lord, David - C&S wrote:
> >
> > Please can we at least try to trim quotes to the relevant parts?
>
> Also avoiding ISO-8859-15 wouldn't hurt either :)

Oi oi. Wot's wrong with ISO-8859-15? I can type ¤ signs in that!

Goodness knows how that will come out in the web archives. It should
have been a Euro symbol.

There is a nice Debian HOWTO on this, and it mostly applies to RH
too. If no-one else does, I shall write up the steps for RH for
en locale and getting a Euro sign.

If you are having browser issues with some pages looking all
ugly, this may also be ISO-8859-15-related, and there are
some notes on http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/BitsAndPieces/browser-tweaks.html
about it. It may look odd in Netscape, because I have been
messing with stylesheets and Netscape doesn't like them: but
it should be legible at least. The executive summary of the
page is "many browsers have default fonts for default character
encodings and neglect to include iso8859-15 among them, and
thus fall back to crap fonts: tell them to use a nicer one for
that encoding".

Telsa