[swlug] My attic based computer

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 17 10:53:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 10:17:13AM -0000 or thereabouts, Tim Bonnell wrote:
> Resplendid with my recent sucess at getting my Linux box re-configured
> to do IP Masquerading, and therefore allow sharing of my modem link to
> all (ok the one other) PCs at home, I now want to be a little more
> thorough.

Whee, congrats :)

> How do I know which modules withn the kernel are actually being used.
> I dont mean dunamic statistics, just which of the ethernet modules is
> being used, which graphics card module etc. so that I can exclude all
> others from my next compile.

I may be misunderstanding the nature of kernels badly here, but I
thought this only came into play if you had compiled such things
directly into the kernel; and that the point of the modules was
that they were only loaded if necessary? So that all you would
really do if you didn't bother to include them (as modules) when
doing the next compile is to shrink the size of the kernel, not
alter the performance?

I await corrections :)

> P.S. What happend to the old mailing list and web site? Have I missed
> a coup or something?

Laugh, no.

You will have seen the "swlug" -> "announce" and the creation of
a "questions" list announced by Darren a while back? Well, the
new one didn't arrive, and mail to the old one was getting
silently dropped. I presume Darren ran out of time at the weekend
or something.

We wanted somewhere to chat in the meantime. I'd really hate to
see the "network a church hall with Linux boxes for a community
centre to use" idea fall by the wayside because we didn't have
anywhere to discuss it and get started.

(Alan, is your friend -- Mike, was it? -- on the list, or can
you play go-between?)

I don't know about anyone else, but I loved the idea, and it
was something practical that together we could do: some people
had bright ideas about security, others were willing to do the
cabling, and so on, and it sounded like great fun and a "we
have the technology, we have the people.." sort of thing. It
was also small enough that we stood a reasonable chance of
getting it all to work fairly rapidly and learning lots through
it.

It would also to great to point people at and say "See, we
did that and it's still running. Now, about your school/office/
club..."

:)

Telsa