[SWLUG] How to remove the linux ID from the telnet prompt?

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Mon Jul 8 15:23:02 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 09:53:22PM +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

> Is there any way to alter the prompt on login for telnet users so that it
> says something different and doesn't give away the system being run?
>
> BTW I am aware of the security issues around Telnet!

Anyone can garner lots of interesting info about your machine just by looking
at network packet characteristics.  For example:

hagbard:/home/dick# nmap -O norton

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on norton.apathetic.discordia.org.uk (194.168.151.162):
(The 1545 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
80/tcp     open        http
515/tcp    open        printer

Remote operating system guess: Linux 2.1.19 - 2.2.17
Uptime 62.661 days (since Tue May  7 00:26:22 2002)

- Dick