[SWLUG] file system choices

Steve Marvell steve at fysh.org
Tue Jul 30 21:57:10 UTC 2002

Esteemed South West Linux dudes[1], I have two questions related to
Winblows files system compatibility which I could do with some advice
on.

1) backups on another machine

I am putting in a Linux server for a company which has an existing
NT2000 based backup solution. They have a server with a removable hard
drive which they want me to dump my postgres database to. They don't
mind grabbing from me, if they have to, but I'd prefer to write it.

I'm not sure what the filesystem is on the server, but I know it's
network shared.

I have access to the sysadmin for the NT box, and he's open to
installing stuff.

Is this a job for Samba, PCnfs or OpenSSH?

Your view would be great.

2) sharing on a dual boot

I have a chap who I do work for who writes web site, so I've convinced
him to install Linux for testing purposes.

He uses RISCOS for development, but likes the look of gimp too. For
compatibility, he test sites with Windows and all sorts. He currently
uses Samba to get things off the RISCOS box.

He's got a 40Gb drive which he's about to acarve up before putting on
Windows (ME or XP) and Linux.

He has two requirements:

1) He needs to be able to get the stuff off of the RISCOS box onto
   dual boot box, irrespective of what OS is running at the time.

2) He needs to effectively share large chunks of mp3, photo and web
   site data between Windows and Linux without having to use root to
   write to any mutual partition.

So, assuming he's going to carve up the disk into:

 Linux
 Windows
 Data

What file system should be on the Data partition?

Is there another solution?

Steve

[1] as opposed to the D&C peeps who didn't reply :)