[SWLUG] Wine

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Tue Mar 19 16:02:03 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:20:16PM -0000, Davage, Marcus wrote:
> Running dual boot, Win98 (C:\win98), W2K (D:\winnt), and Linux-Mandrake 8.1
> (Kernel 2.4.8_36). Can I use Wine (can't remember the version) to run
> windows applications (from the W2K partition) from within Linux? If so, how?
> I've tried running "wine /mnt/win_d/winnt/notepad.exe" and after many font
> messages, it hangs, pushing 94% of the CPU.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marcus

To me that sounds like an average day using WINE. However, of note is
the winesetup program, which does some gentle prodding and generates a
useful winerc, which maps drive letters to their windows equivalents,
and also gives you drives for /tmp, ~ and /. It also lets you configure
other stuff quite easily, and also lets you go back and re-edit your
configuration. Worth a try to get a sane setup in place before running
WINE.

Regards,
Rob