[SWLUG] Know a good program for SSH?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Mar 25 15:38:13 UTC 2002

On 25 Mar, Neil Jones wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good "Free" program that gives me good SSH
> functionality. I can of course establish SSH from the command line but I
> can't do cuts and pastes etc. This wiould be extremely handy.
> Perhaps a verioson of something kile Konsole of Gnome terminal that would
> allow me to cut and paste would do.
> Any Ideas?

Sounds like your missing a fundamental point.

Just run the ordinary command line ssh client in the Xterm type of your
choice, xterm, rxvt, gnome-terminal,  whatever.

Cut and paste is handled by X, not by the program running inside the
text window.

Generic cut and paste in X is simply highlight the text to copy using
the left mouse button, move the focus to the place you want to paste it
(focus follows mouse is much better here) and click the middle button to
paste it into the new window. *

Using this generic form you can cut and paste between any program,
wether it is X aware or not.

-J

* if you have a two button mouse you should have enabled the 'simulate
  middle button' option which lets you click both together to mean
  middle.