[SWLUG] mice and X

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Fri Nov 15 10:35:01 UTC 2002

Hi,

more linux stupidity, sorry !

Iv'e got suse7.3 which  has X  4.something and I'm using kde 2.2.1.
 Unfortunately, my mouse is very slugish to move if I'm trying to move it finely. what i mean is that when I'm moving it slowly, it seems to have a very poor resolution, it jumps quite a few pixels at a time. so that i can't really draw graphics and it's hard to resize windows.   one thing is that i've changed the motherboard (k7s5a) & processor (but kept the same hard disks & vid card - it all booted just fine so I've not reinstalled anything,  fstab still needs a bit of hacking though.)

've tried to alter the KDE mouse settings but it doesn't help (acceleration and resolution).  So I'm wondering if i've cocked-up X somehow ?   are various PS/2 mice significantly different for PCs ?   Is there a 'good' mouse for linux ?  I bought a samsung optical mouse yesterday, thinking that it would be smoother than the mechanical one, but if anything it's worse !

it only the bloody mouse!  how hard should this be ??

hope someone might have a few tips for me,  the samsung mouse is being returned to the shop tomorrow. I might try a genius optical scrolling one next.

Gareth.