[SWLUG] Maildir

Philip Downer philip.downer at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 15 16:01:32 UTC 2002

I've been having some problems trying to convert my mail into the
Maildir format instead of mbox, although I think that I may have sorted
some of the issues out I still have one thing that is bugging me.

There is a environment variable MAIL which is supposed to be set in
login.defs thusly:

MAIL_DIR	/var/mail

However changing this setting does not alter the environment variable
MAIL, it always seems to point to /var/mail. I do have pam and have
checked through pam.d/ and pam.conf and there does not appear to be
anything in there that would overwrite the setting in login.defs, indeed
it says in the comments not to set MAIL variable in pam but rather to do
it in login.defs.

If anyone knows what may be setting this variable I'd be very grateful,
oh and just to clarify, I'm running Debian.

Phil.