[SWLUG] Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:08

Fran Thomson fran_flakes at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 17 09:45:53 UTC 2002

Hi,

I switched on my computer this morning to be greeted with the following
error:

"end-requests I/O error, dev 16:08 (hdc), sector 0
Ext2-fs: Couldn't read superblock on 2nd try
Kernel Panic: VFS:  Unable to mount root fs on 16:08".

Can anyone tell me what this means and what I need to do to try to fix it?
The machine was working perfectly last night and as far as I know, nothing
has been changed on it.  I'm running redhat 7.1.  I'm wondering if it's the
hdd, but windows boots up fine.  I have two different linux kernels to boot
from on Lilo, neither work.

Thanks..

Fran.