[SWLUG] My Trials and Tribulations....

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 07:51:27 UTC 2002

On 19 Nov 02, at 10:34, Carter N. wrote:

> Hello Lyn,
>
> Thanks for that enlightening post.
>
> I downloaded (a while back, but it's probably still there) a version
> (7.0) of Mandrake that was designed to run on a 486 in that the kernel
> was compiled  to exclude Pentium-specific items. I've not acutally
> installed it yet, but I'd have thought that the entire distribution
> has been built with old hardware in mind. So, you might expect it to
> have older (or simpler) versions of software. This might be suitable
> for running on your old computer, even if it isn't as old as a 486!

I have seen a copy of it knocking about in the bargin bin at Staples
in the Cardiff Bay Retail Park...

> As for the dial-up problem, it seems to be be failing at the
> connection or authentication stage. Check that you have the correct
> phone number,

Yep - correct number.

>check that you have the appropriate protocols,

Tried both CHAP and PAP

>and check
> that your username and password are correct.

Yes all correct.

> These have been the
> issues that I have seen cause a failed access.

Thanks - I suspect there is some problem with authentication, with
the operation timing out on me, quite possibly I have something not
properly installed.
--
\/ Lyn David Thomas
Web Pages start at: