[SWLUG] cheap NICs for suse 7.3 / suse 6.4 ?

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Wed Oct 30 14:13:14 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie at installing/using NICs  under linux so any advice greatfully recieved !

I'm thinking of getting the 'network gamers kit - from sitecom'  which has a cross over cable and two realtek 8139C chip NICs.  all I want is to connect two pcs together at this time (i'll think about cable modems later).  But I just don't know about compatability - the SUSE website is fairly pants on this stuff.

anyone got experience of the ease at which I might get these working on :

1  a suse 6.4 box  (kernal 2.2.14 i think)
2  (eventually) a suse 7.3 box (kernal 2.4.something - can;t remember)

It appears that there might be two different drivers / kernal modules  rtl8139 and 8139too.
which may or may not be in the suse kernals and may or may not work ! sus website & books don't help me.

any advice ?    Do I have any chance of sucess with these cheap-o NICs ?

should I buy some other types ?

(I'll get the kit from maplin anyway for 20 quid hopefully - they're good for exchanging things)

cheers all,

Gareth.