[SWLUG] Linux Awareness Day - Saturday 17th May

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Mon Apr 7 21:19:04 UTC 2003

Hi Everybody,

For those that don't remember we still have a room booked in Cardiff
County Hall for a Linux Awareness Day on Saturday May 17th. This is
bascially a day where we can provide demos of Linux doing various tasks
and perform installs on computers that are brought along (if they agree
that they have backups etc.).

Does anyone here have any particular project/program that they'd be keen
on demonstrating?

A few people have been asking about doing talks at regular meetings,
this would be an ideal opportunity for anyone that wants to do a talk or
would like someone else to do a talk on something to speak up. We should
be able to schedule a talk or two in throughout the day.

I recieved quite a few offers when I first mentioned this event from
people who could bring along their PCs/Laptops for demos etc. I think in
total including my own systems we had about 7. If anyone can bring along
a system either to do a (re)install or to demo then could you let me
know? It would also be quite nice to see some non x86 hardware if anyone
has any that they could bring along?

The current plans are to have a cd burner on site so that we could make
copies of Mandrake/Red Hat/Debian/? for people to buy at the cost of the
media. There was also talk of having a Debian mirror on the network so
that we could do installs relatively quickly, or even just to let people
dist-upgrade.

I plan to bring along a webcam so that we could do coverage of the event
over the net, but if anyone else wants to do the same then feel free.

An interesting idea may be to have a MS Windows box there so that we
could demonstrate interoperability between Linux and Windows.

Thats just a few ideas that I have gathered from the last few meetings
to throw into the melting pot, please reply to the list if you have any
ideas/suggestions and feel free to invite lots of people along. :)

This venue also allows people of any age so for those of you who can't
normally make it to a Cardiff meeting and are too young for the Goose
this could be an opportunity for you to meet your fellow swlug members.

Phil.