[SWLUG] server Linux

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 18:49:27 UTC 2003

What I'm trying to do is to get a Linux box up and running that I can store all the stuff that would normally go onto a local hard drive. IE, it'll be a networked drive controller that'll also handle printers and maybe (when that's all working) my internet connection too. At the moment I don't have a modem for my Linux box - it has a different card size from my old machine.

SME is allegedly based on Red Hat 7.2 so it's supposed to auto-configure itself to my network card. Sadly, it doesn't seem to know this. When I bring up Network Neighbourhood, the drive lights on the server come on but the server doesn't show up in Network Neighbourhood.

Obviously, without it showing up, I can't use it. I've spent probably the best part of three weeks trying to get this to work. I've had a freshly-built machine lying idle for about 6 weeks because Linux just defies all my attempts to get it to work.

I need a quick solution that's 110% guaranteed to work. I'm so fed up with the whole idea now that I'm beginning to believe Linux is quite naff and I'm thinking of getting NT server instead.