[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #230 - 7 msgs

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 14:17:58 UTC 2003

I tried sending this earlier but had some ridiculous message from "mailman", claiming there were unreproducable codes in it. I've cut and pasted the identical text!

Now the problem communicating with my server takes on a very interesting aspect.

I've tried all manner of ways of communicating with it.
My experience of networking (aside from using the college network as an ordinary user when I was in college) is limited to transferring files from my laptop (NT4) to my PC (W98) via a BNC connection.

I tried to communicate with my PCfrom my laptop via several different RJ45 cables yesterday and didn't get through. I used patch cables both with and without a crossover widget. I even plugged in my hub and didn't get a sausage out of it. None of the lights winked so there's obviously no traffic between the machines. Having said that, my card on Zeus has a light whic stayed on when the cable was plugged in. With a BNC network, it's easy - plug and go. The RJ45 cables and hub are all brand spanking new. I've got 3 patch leads and one crossover plug plus my hub. The lights on the hub were all on but didn't wink.

I'm fighting a losing battle here. I have an RJ45 setup that I know nothing much about. I have SME Linux about which I know nothing and my laptop will only talk to my PC via BNC.

While I'm doing a BNC connection, Persuis can see Aphrodite and vice versa - via Network Neighbourhood. I can't ping or telnet but I can transfer files via drag and drop to shared folders. Aphrodite is NT4, Persius is Win 98. Zeus is connected via RJ45 and neither can see Zeus. Zeus runs SME Linux. The hub is connected directly to Persius at the moment (with Persius as the host).

I've tried all the little wrinkles people have shown me but to no avail. And yes... I did remember to turn my firewall off. Persius connects to the net so it runs Zone Alarm. I wonder if Norton Antivirus is doing anything naughty. I tried a ping and had 100% loss. I tried telnet to no avail. I tried http and had no luck. Each time, my W98 machine demanded a dial-up connection. I guess that means it didn't find anything on the local network.

So, basically, I have 3 computers that won't communicate via RJ45, of which two will communicate via BNC. I have a BNC cable and an RJ45 hub and cables. The situation is made marginally more complicated by the fact that only Aphrodite has a dedicated monitor. Zeus and Persius have to share Persiuses monitor because I'm darned well not going to buy another monitor.

My plan is:
1. Set up a server that'll sit in a little corner, minding its own business where it will hold all my files and software on a raid protected drive system.
2. Set it up to handle all those time-consuming tasks such as printing so it'll be a printer server.
3. Set it up later to handle internet communications whereby it'll virus check everything and act as a firewall.

Anybody have any fresh ideas?
Yours,

Rhys