[SWLUG] Modems

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 16:00:18 UTC 2003

Having now got my network up and running (today I plugged Zeus (SME Linux), Aphrodite (NT4) and Persius (Win 98) into the hub for the first time and switched them all on), it seems to me that the next logical extension will be to put a modem onto Zeus and to take the modem off Persius. Now, my big question is: somebody advised me to use an external modem. I quite like an internal modem. Which is better? More to the point, will Linux handle any modem or are there specific modems to use? Also, how on earth do I tell a modem to dial and to hang up, from Persius or Aphrodite? Incidentally, does anybody want any ISA cards? I have some spare. I have one that takes extra memory cards so you can put 3 extra lots of PC133 onto a system that already has the maximum plus a spare fax modem (Rockwell chipset). Rhys