[SWLUG] BMP to JPG

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Sat Apr 26 14:05:53 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 11:58, Julian Hall wrote:
> 2.  DVD playback.  I've had all kinds of aggravation getting Xine to
> play DVDs (it did when I installed MDK 9.0 originally without
> complaint!) and eventually switched to Ogle.  However the audio is a bit
> scratchy and in Windows that's usually attributable to the DVD drive
> being in PIO mode not DMA.

Playing dvds in Linux isn't strictly legal, you need to use a ccs
descrambler which means you need a plugin for xine, altough ogle comes
with one built in if I remember correctly.

> How do I check this in Linux, and alter if necessary?

To change the DMA modes or to turn DMA on for a device look at the man
page for hdparm, read it and make sure you understand it because it
could cause damage if used incorrectly (disclaimer).

As an example I use 'hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda' to enable
udma 66 on my hard drive.

Another useful command is 'hdparm -t /dev/hda' this will do a test on
you disk to see how fast it is transfering data and gives output like
this:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.34 seconds = 27.35 MB/sec

Phil.